Saturday, March 28, 2015

Metroid Fusion Review



Metroid Fusion: by far the hardest of the three I have reviewed. Such a great game though, VERY well done story, awesome soundtrack and artwork. I personally feel this game was almost as good as Super Metroid. It is quite a bit more linear than other Metroid titles, and there's no room for sequence breaking. XD But that doesn't bother me because the linear part of the game is vital for the way the story unfolds.

--> Gameplay: Since this game came out soon after Metroid Zero Mission, it basically plays the same. An additional upside: you start out with power grip!!

--> Something else, we are able to get inside Samus' head a little bit during elevator rides. She expresses her thoughts and how the computer issuing her orders reminds her of an officer she used to know.




--> Challenge. ...


...

Man alive. This game is so fantastically awesome but so FRUSTRATING. Lots more things hurt a lot more and the bosses are much much more irritating. And they are much more abundant. And that freakin' security robot - so much harder than it should it be. Also, the environments are much more dangerous. Enemies lurk everywhere and are pretty much impossible to avoid. And sometimes health is scarce. . . or maybe I get hurt too much. . . XP Save stations are also not always ideally placed (for me XP).

Favorites:


--> Favorite power up: I'll say ice missiles simply because that one's new and unique. It kinda sucks that you need to use missiles in order to freeze a target, but I rarely was afraid of running out of them so I guess I don't mind. I do like the convenience of being able to freeze without charging AND  get off a powerful attack at the same time. Otherwise I'd still go with power grip. It's my best friend.

--> Favorite beam: wave/plasma. Nothing new. I will add that plasma beam really seams to pack a punch in this game. It makes me so freakin' excited every time I fire. :D

--> Favorite boss: Nightmare. Man. This fight was a nightmare. So iconic and well done. It was interesting and difficult, but not in the plate-throwing-sweating-and-swearing IRRITATING way that some other bosses were in this game. I always get all nervous/excited when I'm heading to Nightmare, and even though it always takes me a few tries, I'm never mad when I'm defeated. XD



I have to also give some credit to the ending fight with the SA-X. Hardest boss fight I've ever fought in any video game ever. But also that much more satisfying. BD



--> Favorite area: Sector 6 (NOC) for sure. I am partial to anything nocturnal being a night owl myself. But also this was such a nice change from the normal fire/water or ice/jungle norms of Metroid. It was something new and I thought the environments were very enjoyable and pleasing to the eye, even though you don't get to spend much time here. 

--> Favorite Soundtrack Theme: Nightmare's theme! ^^ It sounds just like something you might hear in a nightmare. It haunts you and brings the deepest, darkest parts of your mind to the front and enhances your fears. Mmm. So fitting.

I feel Brian Kennedy does a good rendition of the tune:

Nightmare Remix

--> Favorite Suit: The only thing better than gravity suit is FUSION gravity suit. Everything it was in Super Metroid and more. SO want to make that cosplay...



--> Least favorite boss: Yakuza. With Nettori being a close second. But I think that's only because you face her so soon after Yakuza. And after SA-X hunts you down and beats you up before you've fully mentally recovered from the giant spider. 

And she is pretty freaking annoying. 

Anyway, Yakuza. Giant spider. There's problem one. Spits fire. Problem two. Tricky vulnerable spot and very elusive. And GOD HELP YOU if he picks you up and slams you down. Goodbye energy tanks, I didn't need you anyway right? And what's worse? You have to be a crafty-ass ninja to get away from him after that attack because chances are he's going to pick you up and do that all over again! ...and again. and AGAIN. Oh no wait you're already dead. To make things worse, once you make it to phase two of the fight, he stops spiting fire but throws something else at you instead (fangs? o.O) and he constantly flips around making himself invulnerable. While his weak spot is constantly exposed at this point, it's really hard to dodge and get hits in. I hate when I finally make it through all that only to end up getting touched by that stupid x parasite and eat it with one hit left. >.> Never look forward to this guy and it ALWAYS takes me multiple attempts. In fact the fight makes me so miserable I usually get hung up on it and stop playing for a while until I'm feeling courageous and stupid.



--> Least favorite area: None of the areas themselves really bothered me, but I'll say Sector 3 (PYR) because that's where you first encounter that damn Security Robot B.O.X. (can't believe you fight him twice). I hate fighting this guy. He's not TOO BAD. But kinda annoying and I have more trouble than I feel most people do probably... >.<

Overall score: 9.5 out of 10! Deducting .5 points simply because it is not Super Metroid and therefore cannot be ranked as awesomely. :P Plus sometimes it CAN be more difficult than fun sometimes... But a great game nonetheless and still one of my favorites. It can also be REALLY fun and when I do get past really hard parts it's really gratifying and kinda makes me feel like a royal badass not gonna lie.

Thanks for reading! =3



Disclaimer: This post is purely opinion. Therefore your rude comments implying I am wrong, are not welcome and invalid, because it is opinion and therefore not factional. Please keep them to yourself. If you didn't like this, leave the page. :]

All Copyrights to respective artists and Nintendo for the artwork and music. 

Metroid Junkie 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment